Haemophilia Foundation Research Fund
The Haemophilia Foundation Research Fund was established in 1994 to support Australian based medical, scientific and social research to benefit the treatment and care of people with haemophilia and related bleeding disorders. The fund has provided for 27 research projects over its 19 year history, representing a total amount of $596,280.
Projects have focused on –
* Quality of life in haemophilia
* Genetics of haemophilia
* Mutation detection in haemophilia
* Von Willebrand factor and causes of bleeding
* Impact of joint damage
* Bone density in people with bleeding disorders
* A study of people infected with HIV through blood products
* Immune mechanisms and tolerance induction
* Symptom impact for people living with hepatitis C
* Towards a cure for haemophilia through gene therapy
* Social and ethical dimensions of genetic testing
* Immune responses to HCV in haemophilia patients.
In 2012 two grants were made:
Dr Liane Khoo, Institute of Haematology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Monitoring recombinant FVIII concentrates: Xyntha & Kogenate FVIII Study - $5206
Dr Joe Sasadeusz, Monash University, Open-label study to evaluate safety of boceprevir or telaprevir in addition to pegylated interferon and ribavirin for treatment of chronic hep C in patients with bleeding disorders - $20,000
Donations for Research
Haemophilia is rare, and research in this area is expensive. It is difficult for the small clinical and research community involved in the treatment of bleeding disorders in Australia to undertake funded research. The Haemophilia Foundation Research Fund provides this opportunity. However, we need an injection of funds to the Haemophilia Foundation Research Fund to attract more research and to encourage new initiatives that might lead to improvements for people who live with these chronic and potentially disabling disorders.
To donate to the Haemophilia Foundation Research Fund click here to be directed to our secure online sever.
Or visit our donations page to find out more about other ways of donating.
Fax - 03 9885 1800
Post - 1624 High Street, Glen Iris Vic 3165
Telephone - 1800 807 173 to make a credit card donation
Donations over $2 are tax deductible (All donations are received and processed in Australian Dollars.)