Haemophilia Foundation Research Fund
The Haemophilia Foundation Research Fund was established in 1994 to support Australian based medical, scientific and social research to benefit the treatment and care of people with haemophilia and related bleeding disorders. The fund has provided for 29 research projects over its 20 year history, representing a total amount of $606,180.
Projects have focused on –
- Quality of life in haemophilia
- Genetics, gene mutations and genetic testing in haemophilia
- Towards a cure for haemophilia through gene therapy
- Recombinant factor VIII concentrates
- Von Willebrand factor and causes of bleeding
- Joint damage, and bone density in people with bleeding disorders
- Immune mechanisms and tolerance induction
- People infected with HIV through blood products
- Issues for people with bleeding disorders and hepatitis C: symptom impact, immune responses, safety of new direct acting antiviral treatments.
In 2013 two grants were made:
Prof John Rasko, Cell & Molecular Therapies Department, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. Support for subjects receiving gene therapy in a Phase 1/2 Safety Study in subjects with severe haemophilia B (Factor IX Deficiency) using a single-stranded, adeno-associated pseudotype 8 viral vector to deliver the gene for human factor IX (AAV8-hFIX19-101) - $ 9,900
Dr Michelle Lockhart, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Melbourne. Investigating disrupted pathways in heavy menstrual bleeding - $10,000
Donations for Research
Haemophilia is rare, and research in this area is expensive. It is difficult for the small clinical and research community involved in the treatment of bleeding disorders in Australia to undertake funded research. The Haemophilia Foundation Research Fund provides this opportunity. However, we need an injection of funds to the Haemophilia Foundation Research Fund to attract more research and to encourage new initiatives that might lead to improvements for people who live with these chronic and potentially disabling disorders.
To donate to the Haemophilia Foundation Research Fund click here to be directed to our secure online sever.
Or visit our donations page to find out more about other ways of donating.
Fax - 03 9885 1800
Post - 1624 High Street, Glen Iris Vic 3165
Telephone - 1800 807 173 to make a credit card donation
Donations over $2 are tax deductible (All donations are received and processed in Australian Dollars.)