Residential care guidelines

What does a nursing home or aged care hostel need to know if a person with a bleeding disorder moves in as a resident?

caring for people with inherited bleeding disorders - information for staff working in residential care facilities

With improved treatments, many people with bleeding disorders now live into their senior years and may need to move into a residential care facility at some stage in their life. The staff at the facility may have a range of new situations to deal with, such as:
  • What to do when the resident has an injury or a bleed
  • How to work with their Haemophilia Treatment Centre
  • Managing the resident’s treatment and infusions
  • Understanding their or their carer’s expertise in managing their care after a lifetime of dealing with their bleeding disorder
  • Managing their privacy, especially around bloodborne viruses.
The Australian Haemophilia Nurses’ Group (AHNG) and the Australia/New Zealand Social Workers’ and Counsellors’ Group (ANZHSWCG) have developed an information booklet and fact sheet for nurses, personal care assistants and other staff in residential care facilities that answer these and other common questions.
Caring for people with inherited bleeding disorders: information for staff working in residential care facilities fact sheets and booklets are available in print from your local HTC. Usually the HTC will provide these resources to the staff with some education when one of their patients enters a residential care facility. 
They are also downloadable from the HFA website under PUBLICATIONS .

Join the HFA community

Sign up for the latest news, events and our free National Haemophilia magazine

Skip to content