Work & Finances

With chronic health conditions like haemophilia, VWD and other rare bleeding disorders, managing your work and finances can grow a little more complicated as you grow older. In Australia there are a number of services that can help you with this. You may also have questions about your responsibilities and how to manage situations at work. 

Being informed can make a difference. This might be about what is available to you now or knowing what you might be able to access in the future.  Read on to find out more!


What issues do you need to take into account if you would like a career change or to transition to retirement? Find out more about what's involved and the services available to you.
Read more


Financial planning and management
As you grow older, there can be a number of decisions to make to balance your plans for the future, your health care needs and your income. Everyone's situation is different. This article walks you through some of the key points to consider and the resources to help you.
Read more

Australian Government Financial Information Service
A free service from the Australian Government to help you make informed decisions about your finances.
Visit the website to find out more


Concession cards for getting older 
There are a number of concession cards for older Australians to get cheaper services and goods. Depending on the card, you may be entitled to cheaper health care and medicines and discounts on services such as public transport, council rates, power bills and at some businesses, for example, discounted meals or entrance fees for seniors.
Read more 


When are you required to disclose or tell others about your bleeding disorder with employment and with insurance and superannuation? What can you do if you are discriminated against because of your bleeding disorder?
Read more 

Date last reviewed: 2 March 2023

Important Note: This information was developed by Haemophilia Foundation Australia for education and information purposes only and does not replace advice from a treating health professional. Always see your health care provider for assessment and advice about your individual health before taking action or relying on published information. This information may be printed or photocopied for educational purposes.

Join the HFA community

Sign up for the latest news, events and our free National Haemophilia magazine

Skip to content