Aged care homes

<Aged care services and homes

Residential Care is available for people who are no longer able to continue living independently at home. 

Aged care home is a common term for this type of accommodation, but it may also be referred to as a nursing home, or high and low care facility

Supported Residential Services

Supported Residential Services (SRS) or assisted living facilities are non-Government funded care homes which do not require Government assessment or approval. These are private businesses that provide accommodation and some personal support services for people who don’t need constant care and support but need a little help with daily living.

Services and care usually include meals and assistance with medications, showering, toileting and dressing and physical and emotional support. Some Supported Residential Services or facilities also provide nursing or allied health services.

Supported Residential Services or facilities will vary in the care and services provided and you will need to research and visit them to see if they are suitable for your needs.

Residential care in an aged care home or SRS can be provided on a permanent or short-term basis. 

Aged care homes

Aged care homes are owned and operated by people or organisations that have the approval of the Australian Government to care for you. They must meet certain accreditation standards. 

Care and services which must be provided include:

  • Accommodation including furnishings, maintenance of buildings and grounds, meals, basic toiletries and social activities.
  • Personal care assistance such as bathing, eating, help with taking medications and carrying out health treatments.
  • Care and services according to your care needs, including special bedding materials, mobility equipment, incontinence aids, nursing services, medication management and therapy services such as speech therapy, physiotherapy and podiatry.

In some aged care homes you can also purchase other services to improve your quality of life, for example, an on-site hairdresser, getting the newspaper delivered, outings, special meal menus, wine with your dinner. You can look for the information about their other services on the facility’s website.

Sometimes you can choose to source other services privately while you are living in an aged care home, eg having a social visitor, music or art therapy, etc. You would need to discuss this with the aged care home – it may not be an option in all facilities. The aged care home may be able to suggest providers or you may need to research them independently.

What to consider when looking for an aged care home

Before choosing an aged care home, visit a few and ask them questions about how they would manage someone with a bleeding disorder. 

If they do not support intravenous treatment, ask if there is there a local community nursing service who could deliver this. Or ask your HTC if there is another way to manage this care. 

Would the aged care home be open to education from the HTC on managing a bleeding disorder?


Entry into a Government funded aged care home requires approval by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) or ACAS (Vic). 

For more information on an Aged Care Assessment, visit the Assessment section on My Aged Care.

If you are assessed as eligible for entry into an aged care home, you will receive an approval letter and support plan from your ACAT that sets out the care you are approved to receive. This support plan will include a unique referral code. If and when you choose to move into an aged care home, give this referral code to your chosen provider. 

If you are not approved for entry into an aged care home you will receive a letter stating why and who to contact for more help. You may be eligible for a Home Care Package. 

Read more about ACAT/ACAS assessment

If your care needs change at any time, you can ask for a new assessment from My Aged Care.

USEFUL LINKS is a non-government website which publishes DPS Guide to Aged Care. This Guide is published annually, for each state and territory, and is a comprehensive directory listing all government funded aged care homes and approved home care package providers. It shows contact details and services included for each facility or care option.  

Author: Leonie Mudge, Walpole Consulting Group
Reviewed and revised by: Kathryn Body, Haemophilia Foundation ACT Counsellor, Canberra.

Date last reviewed: 30 March 2023

Important Note: This information was developed by Haemophilia Foundation Australia for education and information purposes only and does not replace advice from a treating health professional. Always see your health care provider for assessment and advice about your individual health before taking action or relying on published information. This information may be printed or photocopied for educational purposes.

Join the HFA community

Sign up for the latest news, events and our free National Haemophilia magazine

Skip to content