Short-term care

< Aged care services and homes

There are different types of short-term care available:

You may be able to have this care at home, in the community, in an aged care home or a mix of these.

To find out more about short-term care and the types of services available visit the Short-term care section on the My Aged Care website

Issues to take into account include:

  • Assistance with your medication
  • Mobility access and support
  • Meals – having them provided or assistance with preparation
  • Assistance with tasks of daily living, for example, shopping, hanging out washing, opening jars.



Short term care is available to help you with day-to-day tasks so that you can manage any difficulties you have been having and return to your earlier levels of independence.

You may be able to have this care at home, in the community, in an aged care home or a mix of these. It might involve:

  • Physiotherapy and occupational therapy
  • Chiropractic services
  • Aids and equipment (including mobility aids)
  • Personal care and assistance
  • Podiatry
  • Psychologist or counsellor support

For more information, visit the Short-term restorative care section on the My Aged Care website.


Transition care is a form of short-term care after you leave hospital to help you regain your independence and confidence.

It might involve:

  • Therapy services to help you recover, eg physiotherapy, occupational therapy, dietitian, counselling, etc
  • Nursing support like wound care, oxygen therapy, help with medication etc
  • Personal care assisting you with everyday tasks like showering, dressing, etc

For more information, visit the Transition care section on the My Aged Care website.


Respite care helps you and/or your carer by providing you with care services for a short period of time.

These services may be very low key – perhaps a cup of coffee and a chat or joining in some social or cultural activities. Or they may be services like help with bathing or dressing, therapies to help with mobility, meals or other services to help with your personal or care needs

It might involve supporting you temporarily with care until you can be independent again. 

If you have a carer, it may help you both if they need a break from caring for some reason, eg if they have a hospital stay or are doing some activities away from the home or just need a break.

Respite care may be for a few hours, a few days or longer, depending on the situation. 

Respite at home

If you are living at home, there are a few options for short-term care. For example:

  • A paid carer to visit your home
  • Visiting a day centre or club
  • Staying during the day or overnight in a home-style respite residence, eg cottage.


Respite care for people with a disability (physical/mental)

Under the NDIS, Short Term Accommodation and Assistance provides respite care for people with disabilities. It is support for you and your carers for when you need to live outside the home for a short period.
Read more on the NDIS website – Short term accommodation and respite
Residential Respite Care is a short stay in an aged care home.
You can plan for residential respite care or seek it in an emergency. This could be, for example, if your carers at home are unable to care for you for some reason, or you would like a break from caring for yourself, or if you need some care for a short time after you come out of hospital.
The care should be the same as that provided to permanent residents.
You can access residential respite for up to 63 days each financial year. Extensions in lots of 21 days can be sought through your local ACAT.


The initial ACAT assessment will determine your needs in line with what help is available in your area.
You can organise Emergency Respite by phoning the Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737 anytime. See for more information.

Author: Leonie Mudge, Walpole Consulting Group
Reviewed and revised by: Kathryn Body, Haemophilia Foundation ACT Counsellor, Canberra.

Date last reviewed: 30 March 2023

Important Note: This information was developed by Haemophilia Foundation Australia for education and information purposes only and does not replace advice from a treating health professional. Always see your health care provider for assessment and advice about your individual health before taking action or relying on published information. This information may be printed or photocopied for educational purposes.

Join the HFA community

Sign up for the latest news, events and our free National Haemophilia magazine

Skip to content